Posted: Oct 9 2015, 10:20 AM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)
Member Inventory: View
Awards: N/A

Late spring
Apartment of Justus, Clare

The woman pounded furiously on the door, probably harder than she even realized she was doing but emotion and adrenalin had taken hold of her. She was determined to keep her promise to that girl. As she impatiently waited for someone, someone hopefully named Justus, to answer, she closed her eyes and sighed. Eyes open or closed, her mind still saw it all very clearly. That farm and all those dead people sprawled out in contorted positions, even some of the farm animals gunned down. It all made no sense, what had been the point of that? And how could anyone do that to fellow human beings?

For all her horror and indeed righteous anger, she could not force herself to go after the killers. Of all the militia, only that foolish girl had stubbornly taken it upon herself to go in pursuit. They had tried to tell her, she was going to fail and going to die against those odds. Hadn't it been the girl herself, using those binoculars of hers, who had counted nine, ten of the killers....with two captives it seemed also.

Just then the door opened......

"Sorry to bother you but are you Justus?"

Justus would see before him a woman in Canadian army fatigues but a civilian jacket over them, her brown hair up in a bun for convenience and shouldering an automatic rifle. A rifle she had fired only a couple of times in some rather haphazard marksmanship drills. More properly identifying her was a white armband with the letters MIL on it.
PM
^
Justus Gibbs
 Posted: Oct 14 2015, 11:04 PM

Written by Molly
Gorgeous, not cocky!
PST
Awards:

Sure, it was mostly an odd hour to be sleeping for most people, but Justus kept strange hours, most recently an overnight stint on guard duty, so, although it was afternoon, he was sacked out on the couch, snoring lightly when the pounding on the door startled him awake.

Scrambling to grab his pants and pull them over his shorts, he rolled to the floor, landing on his hands and knees then struggling to his feet.

"Hang on!" Hopping as he yanked the pants up, then fastened them, he made it to the door and pulled it open, surprised to see the woman there.

"Sorry to bother you but are you Justus?"

"Hey. Yeah, I'm Justus. What can I do for ya?" Maybe there was a problem in town? He hoped not...he wanted to sleep!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmailYIM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Oct 15 2015, 10:02 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

The door opened and a handsome man declared he was this Justus she was looking for.

"Hello, umm, I'm Theresa...oh it doesn't matter about who I am. I'm here to give you a message from Clare. She asked me if I'd come here and tell you," she swallowed, trying not to be emotional but it was hard.

"There's been a horrible massacre just outside of town...if you know where that farm commune is? A lot of innocent people are dead. The people who did it have made a run for it by the time we got there. But we saw them in the distance. And...."

Now came the most difficult part.

"Well, Clare wanted to pursue them...they look to have a couple of captives with them. But..it was decided we couldn't. So ...Clare took upon herself to go after'em by herself. We told her not to, we told it was crazy, suicidal. But she went and we didn't stop her...don't think we could have."

"Anyhow she asked me to tell you that she loves you and she's sorry it didn't work out, but that you'd understand. "

She stopped right there then, what more could she add? It had been Clare's words, her message.
PM
^
Justus Gibbs
 Posted: Oct 17 2015, 12:50 AM

Written by Molly
Gorgeous, not cocky!
PST
Awards:

"She..?"

Was this one of her jokes, playing games with him...did she want him to go chasing after her for something? And..?

"Loves me?"

Well, that wasn't really a mystery, she'd just never really said anything in particular and....

Clare didn't joke or play games, and this certainly wasn't the sort of thing she would do...

Shaking his head, he tried to put it all together, then he grabbed the woman by the arm.

"She went after someone? Killers?" He frowned, his fingers digging in more than he'd intended. "And you let her? Where'd she go? Which way from that farm?"

He'd go after her, of course, but he really had no idea where to look...

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmailYIM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Oct 21 2015, 10:32 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

Unsurprisingly this news had taken the man by surprise and he seemed to be slow in processing it all. The woman sympathized, least until he grabbed her perhaps a bit too hard.

"Ow, let me go! Yes, I told you some raiders hit the communal farm and massacred those helpless people. They might have take a couple prisoner. And Clare went after them. Alone. We couldn't talk her out of it."

The woman felt terrible about it all. It hadn't been a shining moment for the group of militia there. But it was too late now for regrets.

"I'm sorry....I really am...umm, well you know where the farm is, right? Ok, the killers went toward the ridgeline cutting across the fields, they were on foot. Clare thought 9 or 10 of them. Heading ....north I think....yes, north. I came right here."

She sighed, "If you do go after her.....well, I pray you won't be too late. I'm so sorry to have to be the one to tell you all this but she asked me.....you understand."
PM
^
Justus Gibbs
 Posted: Oct 23 2015, 02:19 AM

Written by Molly
Gorgeous, not cocky!
PST
Awards:

Damn, damn, damn! Stupid kid!

"No, I don't see," he growled at the woman. "Not lettin' her go alone, nor turnin' yer back on someone needs help."

But there wasn't time for that, and he just shook his head, turning back into the house to throw on proper clothes and grab what he'd need to....

Well, he stood a snowball's chance in Hell of finding her, but he had to try, and he'd have to hurry if there was even a shot at it.

Moving at a fast jog, he bolted out of the house, heading in the direction the woman had indicated, not paying her another mind...

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmailYIM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Nov 4 2015, 12:01 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

When Justus reached the commune on the town outskirts, there were still a few of what passed for town authorities present. The bodies of the victims had been laid out in a line, a long line, and covered with blankets. No one quite knew what to do with them. Of course they'd have to be buried but where and when?

One of the militiamen recognized Justus, they had had occasional conversations since Justus had settled in Crow Station. He saw Justus about the same time Justus recognized him.

"Oh hey! You're too late...we're all too late. These poor folks....massacred...hell, they even killed some of the farm animals. Whoever did it skedaddled off up the ridge and into the woods," he shook his head disgustedly.

"We're waiting for a decision on what to do with the bodies," he sighed.
PM
^
Justus Gibbs
 Posted: Nov 6 2015, 01:28 AM

Written by Molly
Gorgeous, not cocky!
PST
Awards:

"What ta do..?" Justus wasn't much of one to get easily riled, but this did it! "Bury 'em, hell, what else?" he shouted, then he shook his head. "Or maybe try'n help th' ones that ain't bodies yet? Those are dead..." he swept his hand toward the still, blanket-covered forms, "gone, done in...but there's live ones out there an' yer worried what ta do with th' dead?"

Rant over, he shook his head and continued on...he had more important things to do and was wasting time, not that he thought he'd ever catch up to Clare. But when he got back, these people would be reported...

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmailYIM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Nov 6 2015, 10:42 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

Truth was the militia was just not the same without Captain Maeve, her death deprived them of leadership not just rank. No one had stepped up to fill the void and they weren't an army, just a bunch of folk wearing armbands deputized to keep the peace and carry guns. Then this goes and happens, a brutal massacre. So the man took Justus' anger in silence, maybe because he was ashamed of himself. He watched Justus head out in the same direction as the girl had earlier. He wanted to wish him luck but he found he had no voice.

Justus trekked across the fallow farm fields into a treeline, sadly there were no tracks, at least at first. But then he came upon a trail and a bunch of folks had tramped on it, he could certainly guess recently. He followed it for going on an hour, he checked down on his watch. That's when he got his first definite sign he was on the right course.

There was a body lying face up on the forest floor, three holes in his chest, and a shocked look frozen in death on his face as he stared sightlessly toward the sky. A few yards away was a wrecked shotgun which had been smashed up against a tree trunk. Justus had never seen this guy in his life.
PM
^
Justus Gibbs
 Posted: Nov 7 2015, 09:48 PM

Written by Molly
Gorgeous, not cocky!
PST
Awards:

Justus was fuming at the cowards that called themselves 'militia', and at Clare for being so foolhardy as to take this on alone. Of course, she was trying to help, to save two innocents, but it was a suicide mission that would gain no more than her own death.

Still, he didn't let that distract him -- he had good training and as soon as he left the small settlement behind, he left his anger with it, focusing on what scant trail there was.

When he came across the body, he knelt to examine it, feeling for temperature and rigor, estimating the time the guy had been dead. A small smile crossed his lips.

Score one for Clare!

Standing, he looked around then felt a spike of fear as he heard distant gunshots. Clare wasn't out of the woods yet...

He closed his eyes and concentrated, listening, trying to distinguish shot from echo, then finally picked a direction and started to trot that way...

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmailYIM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Mirror, Mirror Mooseeh Fondant Buttons endlessflight Echos