Howling mines, [With Clare]
Wei Fei Leung
 Posted: Dec 26 2015, 08:46 PM

Written by Eizer
Time to Have Fun
GMT -5 Eastern
Member Inventory: View
Awards: N/A

It was a rainy day, a very rainy one. Usually, Wei would be sleeping and not going outside but someone knocked at his door. It was a soldier, it was easy to guess because he was in his army uniform and also that Wei actually worked with him in the past. He was also soaking wet. The ex drug lord was only in underwear when he opened the door but it didn't seemed to bother neither of the two. "Hey Brian." Wei said after waving at him and inviting the solider to come inside, which he politely refused. Instead, the two began talking about the weather outside for a moment. After a bit, the man in uniform asked Wei to get dressed and come with him. And Wei refused at first complaining well, about the weather. But then, the soldier simply stated that it was an order from whoever they have to report to. The Chinese man sighed heavily and told him to wait for him while he get dressed. He invited him to come inside once more but again, he refused.

Taking little time to chose what to wear, Wei went out with the soldier into the rain and into his Jeep. Poor guy most likely had to walk in such bad weather. "So we're working together today?" Wei asked as he started the engine. "No, we're not." Brian answered. And that respond made Wei a bit uneasy. Why would the army bother to send a guy to get him? Did he did something wrong? He was about to say something but Brian didn't give him the chance to do so. "You're going to work with someone else. And it's an order." And Wei sighed heavily upon hearing that. It wasn't because he had to work with someone. He just felt that they could have just assigned Brian to him instead. "Do I need to pick him?" The ex drug lord as he began driving.

"Her, it's a she." Brian corrected him. "She will be working with you today." Wei wasn't unhappy, having someone do meant that he had someone to talk to. But why in that weather? If they had to go scavenging, they could just wait until tomorrow. Both men entered the army camp after a short drive. The ex drug lord tried to guess who would be his partner today, there weren't a lot of ladies in the army right now. But again, he didn't know everyone. Parking his car next to the building the army used a headquarter, the two exited the vehicle and hurried into the building.

After complaining about the weather once more, this time with a small laugh, they walked into a small hallway and into one of the room. There, a another man, slightly older and bald, were waiting for them. They both saluted their superior and than took a seat. "We have received what sounded like a small distress signal from the radio coming from one of the mines inside the ring of mountains surrounding the town." He then paused to look at two men. Wei turned his attention to Brian and then to the bald man. "Wait, I thought that I would be working with someone? Where is she?" Wei asked.

And to this, the older man just pointed to the door behind them. There were a lady that just came in. Wei looked at her for a moment. He met that person before. It was Clare Barlow. After recognizing her, the Asian man waved at her with a smile. "I didn't knew you were with the army," He said to her. The bald man then invited her to sit down. "It's not the first signal we intercepted coming from there." He continued. "I want you two to go take a look at it. You are allowed to use force, if necessary." Wei opened his mouth to say something, well to complain that they could send someone else that him but his superior raised a hand to stop him. "You," he pointed at Wei. "Know the road to get there and you," Pointing at Clare, "Knows how to handle a gun very well."

"You two should make a good team."
And he paused to look at them. "You go there," he said while drawing circle on a map laid on the table in front of them. "Check if there's any human activity and report back to me. ASAP." And he paused again, slowly moving his attention to Wei ad then Clare. "Any questions?"
PM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Dec 28 2015, 05:19 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

Clare had missed a good month before finally being able to report back to duty after that big gun battle and her leg wound. She'd been lucky though, the bullet had not ruptured an artery or clipped or shattered a bone. It was the proverbial flesh wound. Hurt like hell but quite survivable long as infection didn't get you. And she had received medical care once she hobbled on back with Justus plus Lizzie in tow.

Clare had half expected her superior,( since Captain Maeve was gone it was hard to even know who exactly was in charge, this was hardly a professional military) to be angry with her for going off on her own that day, disobeying orders. But organizations seldom punish success and she got off scot free. No matter if she had been drummed out of the militia, it would have been worth it. She freed Lizzie, the most important thing, and she - with some help from Justus - had shot the crap out of those asshole raiders. Her daddy would have approved and that's all that mattered to her.

It was raining, it had been raining for quite some time but the military didn't shut down for bad weather. She had been informed she would be going out on a patrol of some kind with another soldier. Fine, she grabbed a rain poncho to put over her fatigues shouldered her rifle then headed for the headquarters for the expected briefing. Once inside she made her way down the hallway and opened the proper door.

One man was seated behind the desk as expected and two more in chairs opposite him. It seemed she was either late or they had decided to start the briefing without her. Clare saluted, it wasn't a very proper salute, more an acknowledgement but then this wasn't a really proper army anyhow.

OK, the one Asian guy she knew....sorta at least. Way something or other, she was crap with names. He recognized her too and remarked he hadn't known she was a soldier.

"Hi, yep I am," Clare kept it short as the officer wanted to carry on so she took the last remaining chair.

The officer was talking about something about a signal? A signal they didn't know what it was about or who was sending it apparently, markedly pointing out they were authorized to use force. Clare just nodded. Her partner to be seemed ready to say something but the officer stopped him, then explained he knew how to get there and pointed to Clare, adding she knew how to use guns.

No shit Sherlock... Not that Clare said that, she continued nodding.

As he pointed on the map she leaned forward to get a better look. Didn't mean much to her though but the map was a detailed topographical one.

"Yes sir, we get a copy of that map?" she inquired. Yeah, her comrade to be supposedly knew what he was doing but she liked to cover all angles.
PM
^
Wei Fei Leung
 Posted: Dec 28 2015, 07:18 PM

Written by Eizer
Time to Have Fun
GMT -5 Eastern

The bald man nodded and pointed to Wei with his finger. "Your map, soldier." To which, Wei raised a eyebrow. Yes he had a map on him but how the heck did he know about it? Reaching out to one of his inside pocket of his jacket, the ex drug lord took out his map and unfolded it on the table. It wasn't as big and had lots of notes, crosses and circles written on it. The handwriting on it was terrible and barely readable. Well, for anyone other than himself. The officer took a good look at it and then using his pen, drew a circle near one of the ends of the map. Wei then leaned over the map and with his finger, drew an invisible line from where the town was and zigzagged at few places then hesitated for a moment before landing inside the freshly marked circle. "I think that would be the safest route," he said as he tapped his finger on the map. "There's a trail that goes like that. Hopefully the rain didn't change them, affect them too much."

He did say safest cause there was a more direct route but it would meant going off road pretty much all the time and with this rain, the terrain might be troublesome to drive on. Getting stuck could be a possibility if they follow the short route. "I don't know how much time it would take though, I have no idea since when it has been rainy that much." The older man looked at him in the eyes with a long silence. And that made him quite uncomfortable. Wei had to fight the urge to look down but manged to stay calm and also look at him in the eyes. But it was awkward. "Very well, use that route and get there. ASAP." And he stood up, making both Brian and Wei to stand up as well. "Good luck, soldiers."

And Wei took back the map, folded it back into his jacket and saluted before going out of the office. Wei made few steps away from that room and then stopped to wait for Clare. Or maybe she was already following him. "Clare right?" He asked before extending a hand for her to shake. "We met at the barbecue. That was erm, more than a month ago I think." He wasn't so sure but it didn't really matter. They only briefly talked but now seemed like a good time to know each other a bit more. They were going to be stuck in a car anyway, "We're going to use my Jeep. It should be able to handle the muddy roads."

The ex drug lord then saw that she was carrying her rifle. He only has his Glock 17 on him and it was giving to him by the military. Aside from having to shoot people, he knew little about firearms. "Is that yours?" He asked pointing to the rifle. "Or did the army give it to you?" Wei never really used a rifle before. He did shot a cow in the head with one but he was at point blank. A rifle should be more powerful than his pistol, but would it be harder to use? He had no clue about that. But then, his superior did mention that she was pretty good with a gun. But then, she looked so young, compared to him that is.

"Let's get inside the car," he then said as he made his way toward the exit. Opening the door, he saw the heavy rain pouring down from the sky. "Worst weather ever, eh?" He commented before pointing to the blue Jeep. "There, the doors are unlocked so we can make a run to it." Or he could, maybe Clare didn't need to since she had the bright idea of wearing a poncho. Wei took little time to get into the driver's seat and started the engine as soon as Clare entered the vehicle. He looked at the gas meter, they should have enough. "Need to go anywhere before heading to the mine? Like grab food or something?"
PM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Dec 31 2015, 11:22 AM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

Turned out her partner in this mission had a map of his own, even better. Clare watched as the two men discussed the pathways and possibilities. She'd leave that up to the guy, he was going to be driving. It's not like she didn't know how to drive, she did but she'd never gotten an actual drivers license back home and hadn't driven at all since the end of the world. Everyone stood up and the officer sent them on their way with a comforting 'good luck'.

They were almost out of the room when her partner turned around, stuck out his hand and made his introduction...well sorta, he gave her name but didn't give his own. Dandy.

"Yeah, Clare. I remember you from the barbecue, that was a lot of good food," she recalled as they shook, "Sorry, not sure I got your name right? Way...or something like that?"

They continued on about to go outside, she popped her poncho hood back up over her head.

"A jeep. Sure sounds good to me, those have great traction."

He noted her weapon, asking about it. Fair enough questions really, she thought and had no hesitation answering.

"No, not mine. The army issued it to me after I qualified for it on the shooting range. I do own an AR-15, which is a predecessor of this kind, more of a civilian model than this one," she explained.

He opened the door and the sight staring both of them in the face was a steady downpour coming straight down. Wei stated the obvious before letting her know the doors were open. They then both charged on out there and clambered inside the vehicle.

"I got some rations with me and I filled my canteen," she informed him, "Unless you think this is gonna take a considerable amount of time. I've never been in that part myself."

"Suppose I could go back to the apartment and grab my sunscreen," she deadpanned, despite the wet weather she retained her dry sense of humor.
PM
^
Wei Fei Leung
 Posted: Dec 31 2015, 10:01 PM

Written by Eizer
Time to Have Fun
GMT -5 Eastern

"Yeah, Wei," he said as he turned his attention to the girl. She pronounced it right, more or less. It didn't really matter as long she wasn't calling him Jackie Chan like Kenny does. Wei chuckled a bit upon hearing her say that she could get her sunscreen. While she said it deadpanned, he could get that kind of humor. "I should grab mine too then," he joked before grabbing his sunglasses and putting them on. And with that, Wei shifted to drive and softly pressed the pedal. Why did he put his sunglasses why it was pretty grey outside? Force of habit really. It didn't really affect his view anyway. Although it might look a bit stupid wearing them.

"Shooting range, eh? I guess you did way better than me. They only gave me that."
And he leaned forward on the driving wheel and with his right hand, reached for the pistol holstered to the back of his belt. He then showed it to her. "It's a Glock 17 9mm. Easy to use, I guess." He wasn't sure if Clare was interested in talking about firearms. He didn't know much about it himself. He did handle guns in his life before the plague and shot his fair share of people but it was a different time. He started wondering if she had to pull the trigger on someone before.

"Can I ask you a question?" He then said as he holstered his gun and leaning back into his seat. "How old are you exactly?" There were a slight hesitation in his voice when he asked that. She did seem much younger than him. He thought that she must be an adult unless that the army doesn't care about age anymore. Which would be sad to hear really. "No offense, but you look a bit young to be with the army." Maybe she was just one of those that stays young for a long time. Some women were like that.

After asking that question, they were pretty much exiting Crow Station and into the muddy road outside. He drove slowly at first to see how bad it was. And it was pretty bad. It seems that it has been raining heavily for a while. But he knew that his Jeep could handle it. He just had to be careful. The road outside the small town wasn't much of a road and more of a well used trail. They would stay on that route for a bit. Wei would stop after few minutes and take out his map before handing it to Clare.

"See those circles? We're going to go thru most of them. Those are safe spots, mostly farmhouses but the terrain close to them shouldn't be that muddy." He explained before going back to driving. "We're here." He then said pointing at the map on one of the first circles near the small town which had a big blue circle around it. "It's gonna take maybe half an hour? Maybe more, I'm not sure with that weather." He then paused for a second. "And if we don't get stuck. Which shouldn't happen."
PM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Jan 7 2016, 11:36 AM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

He was going to need his sun glasses as much as she needed sunscreen but Clare smiled, they were both kidding around. As the vehicle started to move, she put her hood down on the rain poncho. The conversation began on shooting, guns, and he seemed curious about her. She got it though, not many females were attracted to the military or militia, whatever Crow Station called their armed protectors because they sure weren't a national army.

"Yeah, I was taught young by my Daddy, he was a US Army career soldier. We hunted and target shot...a lot. Nothing wrong with having a glock...except for the short range. But if you can't hit at long range, probably best to stick with that," she answered him.

And then he wanted to know how old she was including an opinion she seemed a bit young for as he called it 'the army'. She knew she didn't even look as old as she was but it was a bit of a nettlesome issue to her.

"I'm gonna be 18 real soon and in wars throughout history a whole hell of a lot of people younger than that fought and fought well. In the states we took people into the military at 18."

She turned to him then on her next bit, "And for your information, whatever we got now in Crow Station isn't really a fucking army. Not by a long shot...no offense."

They continued on for awhile until Wei stopped to consult the map before handing it over to her to glance at while he explained.

Clare really didn't have much to say, "OK, you know this area not me."
PM
^
Wei Fei Leung
 Posted: Jan 8 2016, 03:41 PM

Written by Eizer
Time to Have Fun
GMT -5 Eastern

Wei chuckled a bit when she said the 'F' word when she told him that what they had in Crow Station was far from being an army. It wasn't a word that he liked to use or hardly use anymore but he didn't mind other using it. He rather found it funny actually. Maybe he because he was older now or whatever. He steered slight to the right and avoided a bump in the road but ran thru a hole instead making the car rock on one side for a moment. Nothing to be scared of but it was hard to predict what the ground looked like with the heavy rain.

"None taken, miss,"
he responded to her while still looking at the horizon. Good thing his windshield wipers were in good shapes. "To be fair, I just called it the army for a lack of a better word. If you got a better one, please enlighten me." So she was rather young but like she said, people fought wars at younger ages. But then, we ain't the dark age anymore but it is the end of world so he didn't felt like arguing about that. He knew that they didn't assign her to him because of her age. At least, that's what he thought at first.

"So your old man was trained you, eh?"
He wondered if he did so so she would follow his footsteps. Wei's father surely did that for him. Do that, learn that and most importantly, don't ask questions. He really hoped that Clare's relation with her father was better than his. "Good memories?" He wasn't going to tell her that he didn't had much good time with his old man but asking that question should reveal more about her past. He then realized that talking about family could lead to sadness, due to the plague and that most everyone was dead now.

"Quick question," the ex drug lord then asked. "Is that your first mission?" He had no clue on hoe long she was with the militia so he was rather curious. "That's the first one that they actually assign to me. I'm usually a scavenger." The rain was getting worse and worse so Wei began driving a bit slower. "Stupid weather, I hope that whatever we find there will be worth it. Whatever or whoever that sent the signal that is."
PM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Jan 11 2016, 11:21 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

"Well, militia is more accurate. I don't see much of a command structure. We sure miss Captain Maeve," Clare had to admit, even though she had once been quite angry with the woman officer when she made some of the young folks babysit at the school during the blizzard.

"Yes, he did. He had been in the Army, a professional soldier and fought in Iraq and Afghanistan until he was seriously enough wounded to be honorably discharged. And yes, very good memories. My daddy was the best. We were very close. My mother....she abandoned him...and me of course. So it was just him and me," she willingly answered his questions.

He then inquired if this was her first mission.

"No, I was assigned to a bunch of perimeter patrols once qualified. You know...watch for raiders, thieves, troublemakers coming into Crow Station. The idea made perfect sense, afterall we don't have walls or fencelines or minefields," she explained.

"But it only works if you have people willing to enforce it. Not shy away from trouble. I found that out," she thought of the raid on the farm commune.

PM
^
Wei Fei Leung
 Posted: Jan 14 2016, 08:08 PM

Written by Eizer
Time to Have Fun
GMT -5 Eastern

"Militia, gotcha', I'm going to use that word from now on." It was clear that Clare was much more knowledgeable than him when it came to that topic. And then she mentioned the late Captain Doyle. It was sad, indeed. While he didn't really saw eye to eye with her, she was doing her best for the little town of Crow Station. "She was a pretty good officer, yes," he simply said. He didn't know her very well neither but a lot of people did and he was pretty sure that no one doubted her good intentions.

"It's nice to know that you were close to your father," Wei then admitted. He never really knew his mother due to her dying while he was still very young. So he didn't have much of a motherly figure and not much of a fatherly neither. Hearing her saying that her father was the best made him smile. It gave him joy to see that others didn't have to grow up like he did. "At least you had him. My mother died rather soon in my life so I only had my dad as well. Although I can't say that he was the best." He was far from that. "But I guess it could have been way worse."

"Also minefields?" Wei asked as he turned his attention away from the road to see Clare. "Sounds a bit extreme to me." He could agree with the wall or even fence lines but having a minefield around the small town sounded a bit crazy. He could see why the militia wanted to control which kind of people gets to join the small town. While they did sent radio signal all over the place about how safe Crow Station is, they will need to decided on who can come in and who cannot. So far, the crime rate was pretty low in Crow Station and it should hopefully stay that way.

"Yeah, not everyone react the same." If they would, it would be boring. "But I think that the goal of the militia is here to make people feel safe at least. But we might need more people in it too. Unfortunately, we can't really force people into it. I think that that ratio could be better but there isn't much that we can do." And he paused to look carefully at the road. A small bump there and another here but they were still moving at a somewhat steady pace. But Wei wasn't really scared about the condition of the road. It was bad but it wasn't the worse he seen so far.

"I think that we should be there in ten minutes. Thirteen top." He said without looking at the young lady. To be honest, he wasn't truly sure about that estimation but his guess should be pretty close. "Ever had to shoot someone with that?" The ex drug lord then asked. He didn't say kill though. He kinda felted that she would tell him if she did.
PM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Jan 20 2016, 05:37 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

The man decided he'd call their ragtag defense force militia like she did from here on in. And they agreed that Captain Maeve had been a good officer. The militia had yet to recover from her loss. When it came to family it turned out neither of them had their mothers anymore. His had died, hers left suddenly and Clare imagined she was dead by now too, most people in the entire world were. But what was different was their fathers. Wei's dad hadn't been good, Clare felt badly for him for that.

"Oh sorry," she barely spoke, what more could she say.

He took her minefield remark a bit literally and she smiled, "No, I didn't mean we plant any. Doubt we have any to plant anyhow."

She slowly nodded in agreement when he pointed out no one could make people volunteer for the militia, for that matter any of the myriad things this community needed to succeed in the long run. At times, Clare felt depressed about it all. They may well be one of the last outposts of civilization and would it last much longer?

He then pointed out they didn't have long before they'd arrive at the stopping point, then she supposed a short hike to his mine. She was following his lead on this. However his next question snapped her head to look hard at him.

Was he being serious? It hadn't been that long that the communal farm had been assaulted by those bastards and eight innocent people savagely murdered, hell they'd even killed some of the stock animals. They had also taken two captives, murdering one before Clare had reached them way out there in the wilderness.The next hours had dissolved into one seemingly endless brutal gun battle. She would have died, Lizzie would have died if it hadn't been for Justus' timely arrival.

"Umm, yeah...yeah, I've shot people. I've shot a whole bunch of people. And you're asking that why? I woulda thought at least the militia all knew about what went on in Crow Station? At the farm. But yes, I shot some folk and I ...well, me and Justus killed the whole bunch of 'em. And I'm not sorry for it. So don't judge me. I won't apologize for a damn thing," she snapped at him, the emotion of the memory coming back to her as if it were yesterday.
PM
^
Wei Fei Leung
 Posted: Jan 22 2016, 01:23 PM

Written by Eizer
Time to Have Fun
GMT -5 Eastern

Wei was happy to see the teenager smiled."No need to be sorry, really." the ex drug lord said to her. "I didn't see my father in five years, maybe six now. And I'm pretty sure he's dead now. Although, there is a chance that he's still alive. My old man was one tough cookie so maybe, maybe he's still around. But he would never come looking for me." It was true. They were quite far away from each other. And that he as quite sure that he was expendable to his father's eyes. Thinking of that made him sigh and feel sightly sad about it. He wouldn't admit it but before the plague, he did wanted to make his dad proud. Too late for that now.

And then, he heard her answer about if she shot people before. He tried to not look at her to focus on the road but he couldn't help it, he turned his attention toward her. His foot was now off the gas pedal so they were now moving very slowly. Wei wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, he knew that. But by listening to her, it seems that he should have paid more attention to what was going around Crow Station. He tried to say something while she explained to him that she and someone called Justus killed a bunch of guys.

It didn't really bother him, he did his fair share of killing. And even he won't admit it, he did kill a few innocent people. "Nah, don't worry, I ain't here to judge you." Wei didn't knew the details but Clare didn't seem like someone that would kill for the fun of it. If she did what she did, she must had a good reason to do so. "I too had to shot a few people before." Even at her age. He would always remember the first guy he shot but the rest? Not really.

And after telling her that, the ex drug lord went back to driving the car. He stayed silent for a bit not knowing what else to talk about. Beside, they were pretty much there. The rain seemed to not well, rain that much now. Still a lot but not as heavy. "There," he pointed slightly the left. There was a small ledge that was going uphill, and then a rather big man made entrance into the darkness of the mine. Moving the car as close as he could, Wei stopped the engine and removes his sunglasses.

"I got a flashlight in the back. Not sure if there's light in there."
Wei looked at Clare with a smile as he pressed the button to open the trunk of the car. "I'll get the flashlight, you ready?" He asked before opening the door and running to the back of the car and grab the said flashlight. He tested it by turning it on and thank god, it had power. After that, he quickly moved toward the entrance of the mine to shelter himself form the rain. "I go first and you follow?"
PM
^
CLARE BARLOW
 Posted: Jan 27 2016, 11:21 PM

Written by Day
N/A
-6 GMT (Central)

The man was a realist at least, he figured his father was dead by now. Yes, the odds were that he was considering most of the human race had been wiped out by this plague. Those who were left were now struggling to carry on against heavy odds.

"Would he even know where to look?" Clare wondered aloud.

Wei changed the conversation to whether she had used that gun of hers and killed people? Clare wasn't going to lie about it, she told him she had, she and Justus had killed a whole bunch of people. And it annoyed the hell out of her he didn't even know what had happened at the communal farm. Still, no matter, she hadn't done it for him, she'd done it for Lizzie and for .....well, simply put, yeah revenge. For those poor people who'd been murdered.

He was quiet for a bit then before assuring her he would never be one to judge. That's good because she was in no mood to be judged. He then revealed he too had shot people....he used plural so more than one. He didn't extend more information though and she decided not to ask. Frankly it was crappy conversation them sitting there talking about people they'd killed.

No matter, they had arrived at this mysterious mine. They left the vehicle, it was still raining but not the downpour it had been. A pathway led up to a large and very dark opening, the mine tunnel. Clare frowned, she had never been in a mine and wasn't sure she was going to like this.

He got a flashlight and then led the way up, Clare following with her automatic rifle unslung and in her hands, safety still on - for now. When they reached the entrance, he suggested he go first and she follow?

"Yeah, OK. But don't stand in the middle of the tunnel, get off to one side and if you hear any noise, my advice is shut that light off and go low. You are gonna be one obvious target," Clare pointed out. Left unsaid but she wasn't happy about it, she would be in the line of fire too.

PM
^
Wei Fei Leung
 Posted: Feb 28 2016, 06:26 PM

Written by Eizer
Time to Have Fun
GMT -5 Eastern

Wei nodded at Clare when she gave him the advice. "Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be fine." He didn't say that to comfort her but more as to comfort himself. He didn't really like the situation very much but that was easy to see. He took a deep breath and went inside the mine with his flashlight in hand and the Glock on the other. He took tiny steps at first while pointing the flashlight here and there. The mine seemed to has been dug a long while ago but it didn't seem to be dangerous. He took a look at the top of the mine to see if it was safe and from what he could tell, there were little to no danger of it falling down on them.

After few more tiny steps, the ex drug lord began moving at a normal walking pace. He would sometimes look behind him to check on Clare just to see if she was still there. As he went back to looking in front of him, a rather large bat took flight and almost hit him on the head. Wei ducked instinctively and pointed the light up and down to see if there were any more of those bats. And there were a few of them and they were all alerted by the bright light and they all took flight and exited the mine with loud flapping sounds.

Wei stayed crouched for a moment and then turned around. "You alright, Clare?" He asked while pointing the light at her. That flock of bats did made his heart jump a bit and wondered if Clare felt the same way. After making sure that she was fine, Wei stood up and began walking deeper inside the mine. There were not much of interest for few minutes. There were a annoying dripping sound coming from the ceiling but that was pretty much all they could hear. And their foot steps too. At least, Wei's footsteps.

After a minute of walking, Wei stopped and shut down the flashlight. Ahead of him, there a source of light. Like a tiny beacon coming from further ahead and slightly to right. The light was flickering so it was a fire or something like that. The Chinese man took a deep breath and again, turned around to see Clare. He could barely see her but he still lifted a finger to his mouth to tell her to stay low and silent. Not that he had to do that, Clare was bright enough to know that.

And then, Wei crouched down and began making his way toward that light. Tiny steps were taken and after a while, the light was getting brighter. And there were sounds as well. At least two people talking, maybe a third one. Wei knew that he couldn't really go closer to them without being seen. To be honest, he wasn't sure what to do, All he did was to stay low and listen to them.

He heard the first one, most likely a woman talking about something. He couldn't really make out the words but they she quite calm. And then a another woman spoke. This time, he understood what she said. "Be patient, dear," she said. "We sent the signal again and again, someone is bound to come." Wei deduced that they were the one that call for help. But something felt wrong about it and he just couldn't figure what it was that was so wrong.

As Wei was about to take a peak, he heard a third one speaking. "Would be about time, we only got one kid left." The ex drug lord stood still for a second. "A kid left?" he whispered to himself. Curiosity got the best of him this time and the man slowly moved his head to look at the three women. They were all siting in the half circle with some kind of lantern on the floor. But there were something else near them as well.

A corpse? A mutilated corpse was on the ground and the now that Wei noticed it, he also smelled the foul stench of it. And there a makeshift cage with a unconscious kid in it too. Wei couldn't help but to take a step back and look at Clare. He wasn't expecting that at all. Should they just leave them alone and go or stay here and do something. Anything. motioning the young lady to come closer, Wei inched a bit on the side to let her take a peak as well.

"What should we do?" He then whispered.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Mirror, Mirror Mooseeh Fondant Buttons endlessflight Echos